This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links. All opinions are our own. We may earn money through links (at no additional cost to you) in order to keep the information on this site free.
With essential oils, you can make your own all natural antibacterial soap. You’ll want to keep this foaming hand soap for every sink in your house!
Cold and flu season is in full swing and we are constantly washing our hands. The soap that we use becomes an important decision.
Choosing the right soap will keep you healthy. It will prevent the rise of superbugs. It will also keep your hands from drying up.
Many antibacterial soaps on the market use chemicals that may disrupt hormone balance. When triclosan was banned by the FDA, companies began using other chemicals like benzalkonium chloride, benzethonium chloride and chloroxylenol (PCMX) instead.
Triclosan was shown to force actions in the bacteria to pump out antibiotics more efficiently. This leads to the rise in antibiotic resistant bacteria.
The European Union banned the chemical triclosan from anything relating to consumption. The U.S. based company Johnson and Johnson cycled it out of their products.
And, the FDA took a case on how to address the popular antibacterial chemical which led to a ban of it’s use in hand soap!
It’s clear that humans should not be putting toxic chemicals on the body. The chemicals that are replacing triclosan in antibacterial soaps are still being evaluated for safety and effectiveness.
Let’s make a natural antibacterial hand soap that kills bacteria safely. And, this soap should also moisturize your hands rather than dry them out.
To make this all natural antibacterial soap, you’ll need fractionated coconut oil, liquid castile soap, and essential oils. You’ll also need a foaming soap dispenser.
We already know coconut oil has many benefits. One of them is softening skin and keeping it youthful. That’s one of the benefits of using this homemade natural antibacterial hand soap!
Homemade All Natural Antibacterial Soap
Essential oils (choose as many as you would like)*:
- Peppermint – anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal effects (5 drops)
- Eucalyptus – natural germicide, may also help treat skin infections (5 drops)
- Clove – anti-microbial (15 drops)
- Tea tree – naturally anti-microbial and anti-septic (10 dr0ps)
- Cinnamon Leaf – antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic (5 drops)
- Castile Soap (2 tablespoons)
- Fractionated coconut oil (2 teaspoons)
- One foaming soap dispensing bottle
*Be sure to use all essential oils if you do not have sensitive skin. Those with sensitive skin should be sparing.
- Fill your bottle three quarters of the way with water.
- Drop in the essential oils.
- Add the castile soap.
- Add the coconut oil.
- If you still have room in your soap bottle top it off with water.
- Mix lightly. Do not forget to leave a little extra space to put the dispenser back on.
There you have it! A nice homemade and natural soap that helps keep germs away naturally.
Make the switch to an all natural antibacterial soap. This homemade coconut oil hand soap will kill germs using plant based essential oils. It will also moisturize your hands.
There is no need for harmful chemicals found in artificial soaps. Together we can prevent the rise of the superbugs and the unnecessary use of toxic chemicals!