A delicious blue crab imperial recipe that’s gluten free. It’s an excellent blend of crab meat, mayonnaise, mustard, and seasoning for any seafood lover.
Every summer, I enjoy spending time crabbing with friends. The best crabs are caught around midnight so it’s a late night activity for us.
Blue crabs are native in our part of Connecticut in the salt waters near the coast. Similar to lobsters, crabs are a bit of work to eat. In fact, it’s a lot more work to eat crabs than lobsters since they are smaller.
If you incorporate blue crabs into your diet, you can easily meet your need for vitamin B12. The meat also contains a good amount of selenium, zinc, and copper. As you can see, there is good nutritional value from blue crabs.
Just like lobsters, crabs should be cooked right away after catching. When I get home with my stash, I quickly cook them in boiled water and then put them in the refrigerator so I’m not up all night picking the meat out.
After I’ve rested up from a long night of crabbing, I’ll grab my usual cereal and coffee. Then, I’ll sit down and get all the delicate meat out of the shells. It is a lot of work, but worth it.
The meat is excellent not only in crab cakes, but blue crab imperial which is my most favorite seafood dish.
If you aren’t into all that work to enjoy crab meat, I sometimes buy the meat in the seafood section of our local market.
However, it’s pretty expensive to buy. But, it’s much more convenient, especially since you don’t have to spend so much time taking the meat out of the shells.
This blue crab imperial is an excellent blend of crab meat, mayonnaise, mustard, and Old Bay seasoning. It’s a perfect meal for any seafood lover.
The dish is a favorite at my dinner table, with friends and family alike always requesting it. You can easily get 6 servings from this recipe, but being hungry young adults, I typically get 4-5 larger servings.
Check out one of my other favorite comfort foods, chicken soup for colds.
Blue Crab Imperial – Gluten Free
Blue Crab Imperial
A delicious blue crab recipe that’s gluten free. It’s an excellent blend of crab meat, mayonnaise, mustard, and seasoning for any seafood lover.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- On the stove top, place a pot cooking at low temperature
- Mix the butter, milk, and coconut flour/gum over the low heat until a paste forms
- Place the paste to the side upon completion
- In a separate bowl mix the crab meat, mustard, 1 tbsp of mayonnaise, and the paste. Be sure that the crab meat is broken down when mixing the components to minimize chunks.
- Add Old Bay seasoning as desired to enhance the taste
- In a small bowl blend 2 beaten eggs with 6 tbsp of mayonnaise. Ensure that the mixture is smooth.
- In a cooking container (8x8-inch or 9-inch pie plate), pour in the crab meat mixture (see note).
- Spread the egg/mayonnaise mixture over the crab meat mixture and sprinkle paprika over the top
- Place in the oven and bake for 16 minutes
- Let blue crab imperial cool for 5 minutes before serving
If desired, a gluten free low carb bread can be placed in the pan as a crust with the crab layer on top.